Sunday, August 23, 2009

SCUBA

Well, I made it to the beach to go diving for sharks teeth today. I even convinced Carol to go with me so she could watch our stuff on the beach. There was a good sized group that met up at Venice SCUBA Quest.. about 20. They had some goodies to eat at the beach and some non-alcoholic beverages.
I got buddied up with a young fellow who had never hunted for sharks teeth. The surf was not too bad when we went in and it was not a problem. You need to swim quite far out from the beach to get in the good hunting ground ...... into about 27 feet deep water. It was a lot further than I expected. We snorkeled out several hundred yards .... to conserve our air in the tank... and then decided to dive down. It was only about 13 feet deep!!! The visibility was not good at all, only about 2 or 3 feet. To keep in touch with each other he held onto part of the line for our dive-float. The visibility was so bad we decided to come up and snorkel out further for a while .
This time when we went down it was about 20 feet!!!! So we just kept swimming on the bottom going further from the shore. As it got deeper the visibility did improve and we had up to 10 feet at time. My buddy did find some small teeth and he was pleased at that. I didn't even find one!!! I was looking for the big ones though. When our air went down to 1000 PSI ... from a start of 3000...we turned and started back toward shore on the bottom. When we reach 500 PSI we came up and snorkeled to the beach.
It was a really a long way to the beach. I was really getting tired but I had my vest inflated and could just lie on my back and keep paddling. I was getting small cramps and and I was getting quite tired but we finally made it
In total we spent 1 hour underwater and at least that long on the surface and got down to a depth of 23 feet.
All in all a good day but I am not sure I am going to do another beach dive. It is just too tiring for an old guy like me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim

    This is another Jim Julian ... happy to meet you.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete