Monday, August 3, 2009

A lot got done on Sunday!!

Sunday was my planned day to work on the driveway drain and I got started at 9 AM. I already had my four 80 pound bags of cement so I backed the Jeep into the driveway so I could have them as close to the job as possible. Rather than lift one into the wheelbarrow I just slid it to the edge of the car and slit it open and let it spill into the wheelbarrow. I just didn't want to be lifting 80 pounds!! After mixing I began shovelling the mix into the drain and filling it to the level needed to slope the drain to the exit end of the drain.

I was pleased that it only took about an hour and a half to mix up 3 of the four bags and I had a good slope in the drain. My back felt like I had been working all day though!! After several hours I smoothed out the cement again and left the surface in a state that was not beautiful but sufficient for its purpose. One more item off the Do-List!!!!!

Since I got my external DVD drive on Saturday I began loading the programs on the Netbook for its operation. It took longer than I expected because the Nero program had a major upgrade and that took as long to load as the original. But that job is done now.

Lori's friend, Brad, came over later in the morning we spent a good deal of time chatting and getting to know each other. Brad and Lori were high school sweethearts but when he went off to college they each went their own ways. He divorced his wife a year or so ago after 28 years of marriage. He seem to be a very nice fellow and I enjoyed his company.

While he was here we found out why Jade (Dawn,s dog) would not go into the yard near the tree. There was a large round paper-like nest of some strange looking wasps. They were black and white and one of these had bitten Jade in the past. We decided they had to go and Brad and Lori went out and got 2 cans of wasp spray that shoots a stream out about 20 feet. They were told it would be best to wait until dark when all the residents are in the nest and they spray both cans into the hole of the nest. So I waited until dark when they finally were no longer going in and out of the nest. Just be sure I was protected some I put on a large poncho to cover me as much as possible, just in case.

They spraying went well and none came out that were alive. The spray was a foamy spray and it coated the nest and even caused it to disintegrate. Some of the wasps were trying to get out but they didn't make it!! Toady the nest Will be cut out of the tree and disposed of.

So much for Sunday being a day of rest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment