Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mr FIXIT

I have been lax posting and it may be due to the heat or that I have been fixing everything around here and other places. In about a week we leave for a trip up north so I better put some info on here before we leave. Earlier this month a cabinet at the clubhouse had 2 drawers that had problems with the pulls and one of the drawers was extremely tight. The one drawer was so tight that a drawer pull was actually broken and the other had threads stripped. I was able to re-tap new threads and use a larger screw to solve one problem but the other was a difficult rebuilding job. I finally was able to set a new crossbar to replace the broken one and it looked like new and did the job. It does not even look like it had been broken. Naturally the drawers were trimmed to prevent any further problems with the pulls.

Our dishwasher has been having problems for a number of months. The motor would not start but would hum. I found that if I reached under to the motor and gave it a spin with my finger (with the power off) it would then work. It did this only occasionally earlier but it now became an every day deal!! I looked up the drawings of the "works" online and found it was either the pump ($40.00) or the pump and motor assembly ($150.00). When I dug into the "works" I could not get the pump open to replace it so it would have cost the $150.00 solution. Too much to spend on an older dishwasher. So we finally found a new one that fit our needs and wallet and I installed it. It took only several hours for me to do it and it works fine.

When I turned the electrical power back on, the kitchen fluorescent light would not light. After changing the bulbs and even going to get two brand new bulbs it still would not work. That meant the ballast in the fixture was bad. So I installed a new ballast and viola, it works. So that day I spent several hours crawling around on the floor installing the washer and then several hours up and down a ladder fixing the light fixture. I was really beat after that.

While we were shopping for the washer we saw a great closeout price on an outdoor lamp post so we bought it and all the needed other stuff such as a photocell switch, the lamp and needed electrical stuff. Last week I finally got the time and strength to dig the hole, mix the cement and install it. I even installed an electrical plug that can be used for other lighting (flag pole or Xmas lights). The light adds some badly needed lighting to our street area and is a nice addition to the front landscape.

For about a month my motorcycle has been spitting out a very small amount of hot oil while I am riding it. At first I did not realize it was oil but thought it was sand hitting my ankle. When I noticed small oil marks on my right sock I did some searching and found an oily spot nearby on the front cylinder. One of the cycle shops gave me some suggestions on where to find the leak and sure enough a small gasket had a crack in it and was leaking the small amount of oil. So I now have the part out and will get a new gasket at the dealer this coming week.

I did not do this following repair job but had good help on it. Since we came back from Sebastian Inlet last month a light on the dash of the Jeep was on that said "part time". It was referring to the 4 wheel drive of the Jeep but never was on previous to this. The 4 WD was working properly except for this darn light. I tried putting the Jeep into and out of 4WD but was not successful getting it to go out. I finally went to the Jeep dealer and they weren't any help as they wanted to put it in the shop and then charge me a lot to test everything. I didn't want to pay to train their mechanics!!! So, I went to a shop I had used before and they fiddled with the 4 WD to try to find out what was wrong before giving me an estimate, which I think is the right way to do things. While doing this, the light finally went out and it cost me nothing for their help. My kind of shop!!

Well, we leave here on August 10 and will be back on August 28 if all goes as planned. We will be stopping in Monteagle, TN; Cincinnati, OH; Zanesville, OH; Trafford, PA; Charleston, SC; and Jacksonville, FL plus several Sam's Clubs and/or Walmarts during our trip. I may have some pictures of the Trafford street fair for a post about it!! Today I became three quarters of a century old. It sounds old but I still think I am a teenager in my mind. My body tells me otherwise sometimes though.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment