Friday, October 2, 2009

The A/C Caper

In January we had an air conditioning company check out our unit since it was such a good deal!!! Only $49 for a complete check. When they were checking they said I had 2 electrical relays that showed signs of significant arcing and should be replaced to prevent any major failure. I should have been suspicious when I was told it would be $250 per relay!! I agree to replace one, cheap ole' me!! The relay's final price was $216.00 (He gave me a discount!!)

About 2 weeks ago we had some other problems with the unit and I called a company recommended by friends of ours. While servicing the unit Carol told them about the relay being replaced (I was not at home). She showed him the relay that had been removed and I had kept and he said there was nothing wrong with it and they rarely fail. He also said we had been overcharged since they should only cost about $50.00.

I went to a local Trane service center and got the price of a new relay and found it was $56.25. I then called the A/C company and asked if they had a copy of the invoice as I had only my credit card statement. When I drove to Bradenton to get it, I asked to see the manager because I was not satisfied with their service. He was not in but would call me in about an hour.

After 24 hours and no phone call, I wrote a letter with all of the details and asked for a refund since they: 1. Did a telemarketing call to us even though we are on the Do Not Call List, 2. Used Bait and Switch to get me to buy a relay that was not needed, 3. Priced Gouged me by charging $216 for a $56 relay. I sent the letter Certified with a return receipt and also sent a copy to the Better Business Bureau. I asked for refund of the $216.

After three days and no response I called but he was not there and I asked for him to call me. I about an hour I got a call and was told my credit card would be credited for the $216. HOORAY!!!!!!

After 2 more days the credit finally showed up on my on-line statement.

Just another day in the life and times of of the Julian's!!!!

By the way the service by the second company was far superior to the first and was a lot less costly. I will continue using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment