Monday, August 3, 2015

JIM'S BIG EIGHT O BIRTHDAY

Holly Smokes, it has been over a year since I posted anything on this site. Shame in me!!

But since I celebrated my EIGHTIETH birthday this weekend, I felt I should get back posting some our activities, and we really do have a lot of them!! I do not post what we are going to do but rather what we have DONE. (Too many crazies out there)

To celebrate my birthday we took the motor home and went to Tampa area and camped at Lazy Days for the weekend.  Got there on Thursday and that evening went to one our favorites, Happy Hour at  Fleming's Steak House. Good prices and and a very nice hamburger at half the cost as in the dining room. We usually go to the Fleming's in Sarasota but Tampa was closer of course.

Rain was coming down all weekend so we had to stay in a lot. As of Monday Tampa is having significant flooding in the area but we were lucky and did not have any problems with it.

Friday night we went to the local Brandon Elks thinking we were going to get to do some dining and dancing. We got the dining, but the music was not appropriate for dancing. We also found it strange that no one was even trying to dance. We left early and commented on the lack of dancers and the gal we talked to said they don't dance much there!!

I think that Carol's highlight of the weekend was finding an HSN outlet store in Brandon!!! We did find a great deal there for those thin style hangers and I needed a lot of them.

Saturday was Jim's birthday and we had reservations to go to the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. It is a Spanish/Cuban restaurant and highly reputed. We have been to one of their "branches" in Sarasota's St. Armand's Circle but this location has been here since 1905. The tile work outside and inside the restaurant is quite beautiful. In addition to dinner we arranged to watch the Flamenco show. Our seats were right on edge of the stage floor so we had no trouble seeing the show!! We had to wait a while to get seated and here is a picture of Carol patiently waiting. Notice the tile work!

The show and the meals were both excellent. Carol had a veal entree and I had a bacon wrapped filet and naturally we brought some of each home,

We left Lazy Days on Sunday morning, in the rain naturally, and drove to Gibsontown, on the way home,  to get a fill up of diesel in the mnotorhome at $2.429 per gallon. That is a real bargain and since I had to put 90 gallons in, I saved a lot from normal prices. A full tank of diesel is my "hurricane Insurance". If a hurricane comes our way, I can go 1200 miles on a tank of fuel to get out of it's way!!!

So, smooth sailing to all of our friends. Jim and Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment