Monday, January 10, 2011

Ten Days into 2011 and going strong!!

On January 1 I realized we had a problem with the microwave. It made a loud buzzing when we went to heat something so we did not even try. I was sure it was a bad magnetron (being involved with radar in the Navy) and I researched parts on-line and found the lowest cost one for about $160.00 (ouch). rather than trying to repair it myself I swallowed my engineer's pride and made an appointment for GE service to come out on Monday.

The serviceman confirmed it was the magnetron and at first said it would be about a $400.00 repair. I naturally told him of my research and also that I could by a similar new model for about the same price. He sharpened his pencil (actually a computer) and I agreed to have it repaired for about $280.00.

When I saw how he had to get at the part to replace it I was glad he did it and not I. I would have been hunting for hours and maybe days to find all those screws to get that rascal out of the microwave.

You never realize how much you use a microwave until you do not have one!!

The next evening was the election of Directors for our Co-op and Carol was not running for Treasurer again. She was really happy to get out of the job as it was making her lose sleep!! There is a great lack of talent on our board of directors (my personal opinion) and I had even turned in my candidacy at the start of one meeting but withdrew at the end. The Hazelwood reunion planning is in it's final 4 months and I just cannot bring myself to take time away from it. Too many from the WW-II era will be there and I want it to be a great reunion. So far we have 60 shipmates coming to the reunion.

If you have not seen the BLOG on it just look at my profile on the sidebar and you will find it.

Even though we partied on New Years Eve, we went out to the American Legion on Thursday, JAN 6 and danced the evening away to Jay Smith. Then on Saturday the Pancake Breakfast was held in Riverwalk and guess who chairs that?? Yep, Jim does!!

There was a good turnout as our crew (all men), served over 100 breakfasts of Pancakes, Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, toast, coffee and orange juice. And all of that for $3.00!!!

It is now Monday evening and we have just returned form the Monday night Riverwalk Bingo. Carol did win at one of the games, but Jim cannot because .. he is the bingo caller!!

We sure have a lot to do in our retired life and are enjoying every minute of it.

More will be coming later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment